Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Thought Processes That Go BUMP In The Night

Never fails, I get ideas of new designs when I am no where near my work area. I'm either at work, driving, at the store, or sleeping. It can be very difficult to convey in words the idea I have. I'm not good at sketching so drawing the idea out would only complicate things. I have a mental image of my work table. I know what I have and pretty much how much. I have already put my inventory in my PDA so that I have it when I am away from home. There's no telling when I might be in a supply store area and they advertise a big "SALE" in their window. At least this way I can see what I have already and what I might be low on. The only problem I have, is that I fail to regularly sync my PDA with the PC or laptop, so my list is often not up to date.

Ok, getting back to the flashes of creativity that whiz across my mind at the most inopportune times. I have decided that I will attempt, (notice I said "attempt"), to photograph every supply I buy and insert the pictures in the database I built to keep everything organized. This way, at least I will have the image to look at and possibly cut and paste my ideas, even if just the single item, but more visual than just words to remember later. Hopefully, by having an image of say, an 8mm Swarovski bicone in lt. siam and a ruby and black lampwork bead, and silver spacers, I can visualize my design, and hopefully remember what it was that I wanted to do with them. I'm not saying I have memory issues, it's just that I get so many ideas when I can't work them out right away. I need something more than just a few words on a scrap of paper to remember the original idea.

If anyone has a proven method that they use to overcome these "creativity crashes", feel free to post them. I'm sure there are many out there that have this same problem that could benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment