Monday, December 7, 2009

That White Stuff Is Falling From The Sky

That white stuff is falling from the sky. It's all over everything...grass, trees, shrubbery, and of course the streets and sidewalks.
We had less than an inch on the ground when I left for work this morning. After backing out of the drive, I instinctively put my truck into 4WD. The street wasn't plowed or salted yet and was a little slick. But when I turned onto the main road at the end of my street, I didn't expect it to be worse than my side street. Even 4WD won't help you when you hit snow compacted on top of what I can only imagine was either black ice or freezing rain that fell before the snow. I wasn't going fast, since I had to stop at the stop sign, tires didn't slip when I started moving, but when I hit the road I started sliding sideways. Luckily there was unpacked snow between the tire tracks and I carefully maneuvered onto those to get some traction. It worked, and I stayed on that part of the road until I got to the next town, which was about a mile up the road. They had their roads nice and cleared, salted, and drivable without any difficulty. I guess that's one of the drawbacks about living in a "township" instead of a "town". The Counties are responsible for the roads in the township areas, not the individual towns, so that means the two-lane roads like the I had to drive on are considered secondary to the main 4 lane road that leads to the highways, shopping, schools, etc.
Such is life...and winter in the Midwest.

No comments:

Post a Comment